Or porridge, as some folks might say.
- Melt one tsp butter in a pot until it is nice and foamy. Add 1-1/2 cups steel cut oats.
- Stir over medium high heat until the oatmeal smells nice and takes on some color.
- Add 3 cups of water, bring to boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Throw in a pinch of salt.
- Peel and chop up an apple, and throw that in. Add 4 tbspns ground flax seed.
- Stir occasionally for 20 minutes or so. If it looks like it is getting dry before the oats are done, add 1/4 cup of water.
- Add a couple tablespoons brown sugar, some nutmeg and cinnamon, a tsp vanilla. Enjoy.